Milestones in the History of St. Thomas The Apostle Parish

1720sMass in Willcox family homestead, at Walters Road (now Ivy Mills Road) and Polecat Road, “since the 1720s.” English Jesuit missionaries from Bohemia, Maryland.
1729Parish founded. Mass held regularly at Willcox homestead.
1837Saint Mary’s Chapel built as part of new Willcox mansion.
1852Cornerstone of new church building blessed by St. John Neumann, Bishop of Philadelphia. Parish membership: 500-600 persons.
1860Bell installed in steeple.
1874Rectory built, replaced 1858 rectory which had burned in 1873.
1897First Country Fair. Proceeds support 1898 renovation.
Church building renovations, including installation of stained glass windows.
Further renovations in church building including removal of exterior stucco, installation of side altars and present interior lighting.
1957Elementary school and convent built.
1966School building enlarged.
Church building renovations, including present wainscoting.
1991New, larger church building dedicated in June. Parish membership: over 1200 families.
1997New Rectory completed
2000Education Center dedicated. Convent razed. Parish membership: 2200 families.
2001Second Floor added to School
2007Recreation Center completed
2013Air Conditioning installed in 1852 Church. Parish membership: 2800 families.